HISTORY

As Saint Columban School


Saint Columban School was established in 1957 by Fr. Sean Nolan of the Missionary Society of St. Columban(MSSC), Sisters Teresita del Nintilde;o Jesus Reyes, Isabel of the Angels Narciso, Marie Odille Cayetano and Anne Bacomo of the Sisters of Saint Paul de Chartres (SPC). Under the leadership of Fr. Partick Campion of the MSSC, SCS earned "full operation status."

Following the success of its high school, in 1963, SCS began to offer collegiate programs. The college department piloted with programs under Liberal Arts, Education, Secretarial, and Commerce. With the expansion, SCS sought the development of a larger campus to cater its collegiate student population with the construction of the 3-storey building which today serves as the main campus, housing the Grade School after the College Department moved to its current campus in 1970.

In 1963, SCS opened the college department with programs under Commerce, Education, Liberal Arts, and Secretarial. With the growing number of its college students, SCS sought an expansion of its facility which lead to the construction of the 3-storey building for the college department, but was turned over to the grade school department when the college department was moved to its current campus in 1970.

SCS only opened its basic education component in 1965 under Sister Eugenie de Marie of the SPC as principal

As Saint Columban College

With the incorporation of the basic, secondary, and tertiary components, in 1967, Saint Columban School(SCS) was renamed Saint Columban College(SCC) when it up scaled as a tertiary academic institution.

In 1978, SCC was turned over by the MSSC to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Pagadian through Bishop Jesus Tuquib who served as Chairman of the Board Trustees. Fr. Jose Maria Luengo was installed as the first Filipino President of the institution. Luengo with Bishop Patricio Getigan and Sister Agnes Lawrence Catalan also composed the "SCC Hymn" which until day, is used as the institution's ceremonial march.

In 1982, SCC celebrated its 25th Anniversary and inaugurated a new 4-storey building in the college campus. The building houses the College of Business Education.

Recent History-Present


In 2002, Saint Columban College opened its College of Computer Studies which today, bears the distinction of being the "Center of Development and Excellence in Information Technology" in Region IX, as recognized by the Commission on Higher Education.

On November 8, 2006, the main building of the high school which was then one of the oldest buildings of SCC was totally destroyed by fire. The event left the High School maximizing the secondary academic building and some grade school classrooms for 1 year.

In 2008, SCC inaugurated phase 1 of its new high school main building which houses a number of classrooms, a chemistry laboratory, an audio-visual room, a library, 2 computer laboratories, a school clinic, and the offices of the faculty, school treasurer, registrar, guidance counselor, and school principal.

In 2011, SCC built a new administrative building in its college campus to pursue a facade overhaul for the campus. The building houses the administrative offices, the guidance and counseling center, and a chapel.

Timeline

1957

Fr. Sean Nolan of the Missionary Society of Saint Columban (MSSC) founded Saint Columban School. As the first director of the school, he started with the first and second year high school levels with the assistance of the Sisters of Saint Paul de Chartres (SPC), namely: Sr. Teresita del Niño Jesus Reyes, Sr. Isabel of the Angels Narciso, Sr. Marie Odille Cayetano and Sr. Anne Bacomo.

1958

Fr. Patrick Campion, SSC, took over as School Director.

1959

The secondary course was in full operation.

1960

Saint Columban High School produced its first 55 graduates.

1961

Fr. Daniel Baragry, SSC, took over as Acting Director when Fr. Patrick Campion, SSC, left for Ireland for a home visit.

1962

Fr. Patrick Campion, SSC, came back and applied for a permit to offer collegiate courses.

1963

The college department began to operate with the following courses: Liberal Arts, Education, Commerce and Secretarial, with Sr. Maria Rosario Urbi, SPC, as College Dean. The three-storey college building was constructed near the Provincial Capitol.

1964

Fr. Jerome Halliden, SSC, took over as Acting Director when Fr. Patrick Campion, SSC left again for Ireland.

1965

Fr. Patrick Campion, SSC, came back. The school opened the normal college and the primary grades.

1967

Fr. Edmund Bahl, SSC, was the School Director. The Grade School Department was in full operation with Sr. Eugenie de Marie, SPC, as Principal. The name Saint Columban School was changed to Saint Columban College.

1968

SCC produced the first fourteen graduates of the elementary level.

1969

The Edmund Bahl building was constructed in downtown campus.

1970

The Edmund Bahl building was blessed to house the college students.

1971

The St. Therese building was built.

1976

Fr. Brendan O'Sullivan, SSC, served as the School Director. The Graduate School was established with Dr. Elenita Tumala as Dean. Guidance and Counseling was the first Masteral Program offered.

1977

Fr. Patrick O'Donoghue, SSC, took over as School Director when Fr. O'Sullivan, SSC, was assigned as head of the Missionary Society of Saint Columban in Mindanao.

1978

The Missionary Society of Saint Columban turned over the ownership of the college to the Diocese of Pagadian through Bishop Jesus B. Tuquib, who served as Chairman of the Board of Trustees. Bishop Jesus B. Tuquib appointed Fr. Jose Maria Luengo as the first Filipino priest to become President. Fr. Luengo composed the SCC March and Hymn with contributions from Msgr. Patricio Getigan and Sr. Agnes Lawrence Catalan.

1980

Dr. Isidora Pastor became Acting President when Fr. Luengo left for the US.

1983

Silver Jubilee of SCC. Sean Nolan building in downtown campus and a two-room high school building were inaugurated.

1984

Sr. Anastasie Dongallo, SPC, became President.

1987

Sr. Marie Renee Javato, SPC, succeeded Sr. Anastasie Dongallo as President.

1995

Msgr. Patricio R. Getigan, the Vicar General of the Diocese of Pagadian, was appointed as President, with Fr. Ariel Lumaad as Vice-President for Finance; Dr. Ma. Flor M. Te, Vice-President for Academic Affairs; and Dr. Beverly Luceño, Vice-President for Non-Academic Affairs. Patrick Campion building at the college campus was built.

1998

Bishop Zacharias C. Jimenez, D.D. became President with Fr. Rey B. Mutia as Executive Vice-President and Fr. Ariel Lumaad as Vice-President for Finance. They comprised the Administrative Team together with the Diocesan Schools Superintendent, Sr. Amelia David, ICM. The Middle Level Management (MLM) team was formed, composed of the Deans of Colleges and Heads of Offices.

1999

Fr. Rico P. Sayson was appointed as Vice-President for Finance.

2001

Fr. Foelan G. Echavez became Vice-President for Finance.

2002

The College of Computer Studies was established. SCC was recognized as the Center of Development and Excellence in Information Technology in Region IX.

2003

Bishop Edwin Dela Peña acted as President. Fr. Armando S. Bayron was appointed Assistant Vice-President for Finance.

2004

Bishop Emmanuel T. Cabajar, the newly installed Bishop, became President.

2006

Fr. Armando S. Bayron was appointed Vice-President for Finance.

2008

Rev. Fr. Gilbert M. Hingone, STL, was installed School President in January. In June, Dr. Ma. Flor M. Te was appointed Vice-President for Academic Affairs and Fr. Armando S. Bayron as Vice-President for Administration.

2009

Fr. Nestor Remasog was appointed as Human Resource Manager.

2010

Fr. Belstar O. Ediang became Vice-President for Administration and Finance.

2011

Fr. Belstar O. Ediang coined SCC ACTS (Achieves Excellence, Cultivates a Peaceful Environment, Takes Care of Mother Earth, and Serves Humanity) as SCC value proposition.

2012

Dr. Nora G. Agustero was appointed Vice-President for Academic Affairs. SCC ACTS was institutionalized. SCC adopted Barangay Upper Sibatang as the first recipient of the institutionalized Community Involvement Program (CIP). On October 17, 2011, St. Therese Building was demolished and some of the wooden materials were donated to Upper Sibatang Elementary School for the construction of a kindergarten room. The new St. Therese Building was inaugurated on March 15. The Saint Therese Kindergarten Room in Upper Sibatang Elementary School was inaugurated on March 21.